Southern Living (December 2010)
The two of us have a lot in common when it comes to food. We have similar tastes, we're both willing to eat just about anything, and we have a penchant for selecting the exact same dishes on a restaurant menu (if only that was a game show, we'd be shoe-ins!).
In fact, the places where our palates differ are few, and mostly center around dill (Clay doesn't hate it but isn't a huge fan) and mushrooms (Zach's still trying to get on board).
But the one thing we agree on more strongly than anything else?
It's an undying, passionate love for the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Chocolate and peanut butter together is our weakness, our craving, our happy place we'd visit over and over and over again.
We've made plenty of dishes featuring this combo here on the blog. At the bottom of this post, you can see a list of our four favorite PB-and-chocolate recipes.
So when we got on a little cookie-making kick last week, starting with Snow-Capped Macaroons, Southern Living had our number with their recipe for Flourless Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies.
This recipe has a few things going for it: few ingredients (most of which you may already have on hand), an easy, drop-cookie method, and a short baking time (up to 14 minutes, plus cooling time).
And you know what? The results are just fine.
When we initially bit into one of these cookies, our first reactions were those of disappointment. It wasn't bad, but we weren't blown away. However, as we ate more of them, they really grew on us. It's a perfectly good, basic cookie recipe.
If you find yourself in a pinch and need a quick cookie to turn around for a late-night fix or quick gathering, you won't go wrong here. But if you want a cookie that will really impress? You'll have to find one somewhere else.
Other Chocolate-Peanut Butter Recipes We've Loved:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark Cookies
- Chocolate Stout Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Chocolate Sabayon and Homemade Nutter Butters
- Chocolate Cake with Milk Chocolate-Peanut Butter Frosting and Peanut Butter Brittle
Total: 1 hour, 14 minutes
Yield: Makes 2 dozen
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together peanut butter and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in chocolate morsels.
2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
3. Bake at 350° for 12 to 14 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets on a wire rack 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack, and let cool 15 minutes.