Food & Wine (June 2009)
Our salad trio progresses on!
We love the idea of a light, summery dressing, like the Honey-Lemon Dressing we served with watercress.
But we just couldn't resist this Creamy Feta Vinaigrette. It sounded so bold and rich and delicious -- we couldn't pass it up!
We took a cue from Food & Wine and served this simply, over grilled Mediterranean vegetables. We used yellow squash, zucchini and red peppers (although unfortunately none of the peppers found their way into our photo). F&W also suggests using this dressing with shrimp, cucumber salads, spinach salads, tomato salads or potato salads. We bet they'd all be great!
Like the Honey-Lemon Dressing, this feta vinaigrette is super simple to make. If you've got a food processor, it'll take 90 seconds. Even if you don't, this is a fantastic salad dressing that'll come together in no time at all.
The tangy feta and the sharp taste of the red wine vinegar are a great complement to the grilled vegetables. It's a heftier salad dressing than our usual summer fare, but it still tastes light, smooth and simple. We'll definitely be making this one again and again!
* TOTAL TIME: 5 MIN
* SERVINGS: Makes 3/4 cup
* 3 ounces feta cheese, preferably French, crumbled (3/4 cup)
* 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a food processor, pulse the crumbled feta with the red wine vinegar, water, oregano and olive oil until the vinaigrette is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Great With Grilled vegetables or shrimp, cucumber salad, spinach salad, tomato salad, potato salad.