With March nearly behind us, we wanted to point out a few things that caught our eye in this month's food magazines that weren't necessarily recipes. In case you missed it, here's last month's list.
- Pop-Up Cakes Note Cards -- We're not typically into cutesy stuff like this. But c'mon, these are adorable! They're available from the MoMA Store.
- The Best Places for Chili in the U.S. -- Number one on the list? DC's own Ben's Chili Bowl. We've been known to drop by Ben's after the occasional late night out, and when Zach's mom Brenda visited a few weeks ago, we had lunch there. If you ever visit our Nation's Capital, a chili dog at Ben's is a must.
- Cook It in the Sauce -- In a feature about "10 New Ways to Love Pasta," Everyday Food includes a marvel idea (at least to us): cook the pasta in the sauce, rather than in boiling water. We're eager to try it. The idea totally makes sense -- we've just never thought to do it. If you give it a go, let us know how it turns out.
- Etched Glass Storage Jars -- We're a little obsessed with storage jars recently. A few weeks ago we cleaned out our cupboards, and transferred a lot of items we had in bags (like raisins, risotto and various kinds of nuts) to empty jars we had around. It looks quite nice in our cabinet and has made finding items much easier. Well Martha has gone and one-upped us, with a do-it-yourself guide to etching your own glass jars. Good grief, Martha -- these are beautiful!
- Tomato Paste in a Tube -- Tomato paste is one of those products with perpetual leftovers. You purchase a can of it for a recipe and only need a tablespoon, and then you're left with a small amount of it. We've been wrapping whatever's left in cling wrap and freezing it. No more! At the behest of Food Network Magazine, we're now buying tomato paste in a tube. We've already used it in several recipes and it turned out great. If you're interested in buying some, it's available in supermarkets nationwide.
See anything in food magazines this past month that you particularly liked? Let us know in the comments!